Thursday, March 20, 2008

Busy week

The office is a ghost town.

Many of the editors (but none of the interns!) have taken spring break. Things are so depleted at the moment that for the last two days, our department has been down to four people, two of whom are interns. It's very quiet, but we've had a good chance to get work done, including, for me, all that goes into archiving an issue.

Last night, a group of us did Chinese food and watched Once, which is quite good for an indie. I downloaded a few of the songs today, though I doubt they'll do me much good on the track tomorrow morning. For that, there's the iPod club mix...

I do need to go to the gym tomorrow. Wednesday morning, I skipped due to the threat of severe weather, and this morning, I was too beat to drag myself out of bed at 5 AM. I did manage to get up at 6:30, when my dog tried to jump onto the bed, then headed down the street to check on my neighbors' cat.

I'm a dog person, mostly due to family allergies, but I have nothing against cats. They're cute, in a strange sort of way, and this one seemed not to hate me the last time I was over. She didn't bother to greet me when I came in - unlike my dog, whose favorite method of greeting is to jump all over the newcomer, then shove her nose toward her new friend's unmentionables and look up adoringly - so after checking food and water levels, I decided to make sure the cat was alright. "Mimi?" I called.

"Mrow."

I paused, trying to triangulate. "Mimi?"

"Mrow."

Thus began a groggy, albeit brief, game of feline Marco Polo. I found the poor thing eventually, having traced her meowing under a chair, and, ascertaining that she was just hiding and not nursing some massive trauma, left for the day. When I returned this evening, she seemed much more pleased to see me, probably because she heard me rummaging in her food bin. Good kitty.

Tomorrow, barring snow, my sister and her posse will descend upon us for a long weekend. If they arrive before midnight, they'll be lucky. If Sam Ruth knows what's good for him, he won't give me any shit while he's here. Just kidding, Sam.

But really.

No comments: