Sunday, April 27, 2008

Moving on

I slept in this morning, figuring God would forgive me. Two nights in a row of Porgy and Bess until 11 PM takes it out of you. Still, we received five stars, a first this year, and largely thanks to our incredible soloists, even if the BCC does have an "earthy presence"...whatever the hell that means. One memorable moment of the show happened on Friday night, when a moth flew into poor Bess's mouth and she spat it out, loudly. We laughed, the audience laughed, and Bess, pro that she is, carried on like nothing had happened. That is talent.

This afternoon, I almost got a car and an apartment.

When she begins grad school in August, Jen is taking her beloved Beetle with her, leaving me without wheels. My parents have graciously agreed to buy me a replacement car, and we think we may have found it - a cream and black MINI Cooper with many of the bells and whistles, including leather and a dual moon roof. It's a 2005 just shy of 25,000 miles, and it's in perfect order. If they can make the price work, it's mine. Sweet.

Now to the second part. Seeing as I've been back in Birmingham eight months, I'm beginning to think that it's time I got my own place - my folks are great, and I couldn't ask for more from them, but I'll be 24 this Saturday, and I'm thinking it's high time I found my first apartment and boomeranged back out of the nest. Brandon and I looked at a few yesterday (with Kat tagging along as Counsel/Chauffeur), and found a great complex within our budget. The manager showed us a unit they were advertising as a discounted special, and we both seemed to like it. My only concern was that the unit was, for all purposes, in the basement.

My mother dislikes basements, and asked to come along today. When we got back to the complex, she got the manager to show us two other units, including a much better one with a full pantry, second coat closet, living room mirror, and deck. The manager revealed that the new one was also discounted, and we set off to sign the papers. There's a lesson here: parents come in handy, and can keep sub-par apartments from being foisted on their kids.

Unfortunately, we hit a snag in the form of the credit check. Both of us had to fork over $60 to have our credit history checked, and when he ran mine, the machine came back with an "Insufficient Funds" note. (Of course I have insufficient funds if you assume I'm paying for the apartment by myself, idiot machine...) My mother offered to co-sign, and so we'll hear tomorrow whether we can have our apartment. Fingers crossed...

No comments: