Monday, August 04, 2008

Dog-sitting

Since Friday night, I've been the single parent of a border collie. There now remains no doubt in my mind that I am, as yet, unprepared for children. Seriously.

Don't get me wrong - I love this dog. She's great. She's just relentless.

When Cal was a puppy, she never stopped - never. She was probably the one dog I'd ever known who refused to nap. If you tried to sleep on the couch, she'd attack your head.

She's nearly two now, and has mellowed somewhat, but she's rather like a toddler - opinionated and just smart enough to cause trouble. The moment the floor creaks in the morning, she's awake and barking to be let out of her bed. She then likes to go for a walk (or a run, and boy, have my arms forgotten what it's like to run a border collie), followed by some quality ball time. We love our squeaky orange ball more than life. Of course, she's noticed the tennis ball on the front steps, and has realized that if I let her out to do her business, she can grab the tennis ball and make me play with her. (Hey, ever try to corral a displeased border collie?) Once I tell her it's the last throw, she refuses to return, but stands on the other end of the yard, watching. I then have to go to her, but while I'm reaching for the ball, she runs the other way and waits until I throw it. She's realized that I will simply pick her up around the middle and carry her inside if she gives me much trouble, but she's still pretty crafty for a dog.

In any case, we've played ball three times today, and she's giving me the Look.

Well, it's the only way I get any peace around here.

No comments: