Thursday, October 29, 2009

New hobby

According to the date stamp, I've not touched this blog in nearly a month. Best-laid plans and all that, I suppose, but hey, it's been a busy (and quite good) few weeks. So, well...Happy Halloween, yo.

Preface: Back in grad school, I decided to try this strange "knitting" thing that so many of my friends had picked up along the way, and marched myself down to the ghetto-fab Edinburgh Bargain Store for needles and cheap yarn. The resulting scarf was, in a word, laughable. It was also bright teal, and if I'm not mistaken, it's currently padding breakables in my storage unit. I tried to continue my knitting, first with a new, more subdued, ball of yarn in Edinburgh, then with fresh materials in Birmingham last year, but I've come to the realization that I'm not exactly a knitter.

I do, however, really like playing with jewelry.

Jewelry making - or at least the bead stringing/headpin wrangling with which I'm currently experimenting - is as relaxing as knitting, but without the cramping knuckles. I've made Christmas presents. I know the faces at the bead store downtown and where to find the cheaper supplies at Michael's. Heck, I've even made earrings to kill time pre-Torts. It's just fun.

Also, um, I like shiny things. And semiprecious stones. Now, if only I could scrape together the hundreds of dollars I'd need for a string of decent larimar, we'd be in business...

No comments: