Monday, November 30, 2009

Back to the mines

I love you, Thanksgiving break, but you've become a devilish little minx.

Back in undergrad, Thanksgiving was glorious, eight days off from school if one stuck around for The Game. (And one did. Cue "School on Monday!" chant.) In law school, it's only five days, and we come back to the final three days of classes before a laughably short two-day reading period (Seriously, guys, why bother?) and--gulp--finals.

Suffice it to say I Thanksgiving-ed it up last week--way too much food (Delicious and didn't come straight from a box! Wonders!), way too much shopping (Sometimes, Saks is the best option), and a nice visit with my parents and the Insane Border Collie. (And, lest I forget, BBC America. Hello, digital cable!) Today, however, I'm back at school, sitting in the cafeteria with my laptop and a stack of casebooks a foot high, wondering why it has to be rainy and cold, and why we have to have these silly exams at all. Thanksgiving was just a tease this year, a glorious five-day reprieve from the looming reality of the end of the semester and the exams that will decide our grades. No pressure.

Only seventeen days until Christmas break. Not that I'm counting or anything.

No comments: