Saturday, August 15, 2009

Last Weekend of Freedom

By this time next week, I expect to be knee-deep in casebooks, but for now, I'm still blissfully (almost) indolent. After reading my first assignment yesterday afternoon (Contracts looks like...fun? No, that's not the word...) and hanging out downtown last night, I slept in this morning, then hit the Saturday farmers' market at Jen's suggestion.

The bad: The farmers set up shop in the one free parking lot.

The good: Plenty of veggies (particularly tomatoes of all types) and potted plants, plus an odd assortment of other stalls--lamb and free-range eggs, organic cleaning agents, tacos, bagel sandwiches, Bosnian food, pottery, and half a dozen jewelry stands, to name a few. They're only open until noon, but it's worth rolling out of bed and taking a look.

One stall is run by a fellow who sells, among other things, raw cheese. Now, technically, you're not allowed to sell raw cheese in this state, so he advertises "free cheese" in exchange for a donation toward petitioning the legislature to change the rules. When I was there around 11, a woman asked him what cheeses were available. "None," he shrugged. "They're gone by 8:30."

Charlottesville folk are serious about their raw, organic, green, pesticide-free, recycled, free-range whatever.

On the way back, I learned a new way to the law school. It's really only about two miles or so from our apartment, making it technically walkable in case of ice storm and/or Cooper failure. (I mean, yes, it's more than walkable now--I did it yesterday--but with temperatures here in the 80s and humidity in the 90-95% range, I'd show up too gross for class.) Orientation begins Monday, and for the time being, however, I intend to take full advantage of the lax parking restrictions. What commuter lot?

No comments: