Wednesday, August 26, 2009

One of those days

Confession: I freak out a little when things go wrong with my car. It probably doesn't help that since high school, I've been driving vehicles that turn on a helpful "SERVICE ENGINE NOW" light every time they have the slightest hiccup--ever vigilant against sudden engine explosion, I end up taking the car to the dealer and getting it serviced, all the while grumbling about catch-all doomsday dashboard lights. (Also, when one is in Birmingham and the nearest dealer is in Atlanta, and one is working two jobs, "ENGINE DEATH IMMINENT" lights are the last thing one wants to see.)

Last night, I discovered that my Pioneer disc changer has up and died. While nowhere near the level of the "BEWARE ENGINE FIREBALL" indicator, this problem annoys me for three simple reasons:

1) I like my disc changer.
2)I haven't the faintest idea how to fix the disc changer, even after poking around for manuals online and calling Pioneer. (And unscrewing the back of the console unit, looking for batteries, before realizing there were no batteries to change.)
3) Since the disc changer is obviously not receiving or responding to power at the moment, the magazine is stuck inside, meaning I can't remove my CDs.

Granted, there's not much inside the magazine that I haven't imported into iTunes by now, but it's the principle of the thing--I'd like my Albanach CD back, thank you, and my bought-at-the-vintage-store-for-$3 copy of "Live in the X Lounge IV", and the homemade disc that the car's previous owner left in the changer, which has good tracks that I've, sadly, not yet bothered to look up.

Best Buy says they'll have a look at it, but it's $20 per 15 minutes of work. Any other ideas?

No comments: