Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Oddest moment of the week thus far

Apologies to anyone already subjected to my Blackberry photos...

Hot air ballooning is a big thing in Charlottesville, and with good reason: the scenery is fabulous. Tuesday morning, as I was preparing to head to school, I noticed a balloon hovering over my apartment complex. Thinking nothing of it, I pulled out onto Georgetown, but as I drove, I saw the balloon out my left window, flying just ahead of me. I lost sight of it as I turned onto grounds, but when I rounded the corner to park, I saw it coming down in our lower lot.

As I pulled in, the balloon was just touching down, and, like an idiot, I jumped out of my car with the phone out, ready to take some shaky pictures. I managed to snap the basket--the darn thing was too close to be shot as a whole--and one of the kids inside spotted me.

"Hi!" he called.

"Hi!" I called back, feeling kind of like a stalker. "That's really cool!"

"It is!" he yelled. "You should try it!"

Good point, kid...

I hefted my backpack and headed for school, wishing ballooning had been part of our orientation activities.

No comments: