Friday, September 11, 2009

Overheard on the U-Hall bus

I took my second University bus trip this afternoon, and for the record, let me say that I truly loathe the parking situation in this town. First, I drove from the Law School blue lot--the North Forty, let's call it--and parked less than a mile away at U Hall. From there, I caught a bus that took a whopping twenty minutes to get me a mile up the road to Gilmer. Honestly, it almost would have been quicker to walk.

The presentation at Gilmer was fun--apparently, a majority of UVA Law alumni from the class of 1990 are at least satisfied with their lives--but then came the bus ride back. Silly me, I assumed every bus eventually made the U Hall rounds. Ha. As we cruised back toward Gilmer half an hour later, the bus driver told me he'd drop me at the Chapel to wait for a transfer. At least I got the Central Grounds tour.

On my final bus of the day, I found myself beside two undergrads, both track members, a boy and a girl. Their conversation went roughly as follows:

Boy: Are you still sick?

Girl: Yeah, I was supposed to be with the coach this morning, but I called and she must have heard it in my voice, so I had to go to the doctor, and now I'm waiting for blood work. Actually, I should be in physics right now.

Boy: No big deal.

Girl: Yeah, but I skipped class yesterday, too. I just don't feel good.

Boy: Me, either. So...are you going out tonight?

Girl: Yeah, I think so.

*Facepalm*

Okay, children, what did your mommy always tell you? If you're too sick for school, you're too sick to play. Alcohol isn't going to kill the germs...

No comments: