Sunday, August 05, 2007

And the rain returns

I knew it. It was too good to be true.

After a week of nearly perfect weather, the rain returned in full today, making my parents and me quite grateful that we tackled Arthur's Seat yesterday. Regrettably, today was our day in St. Andrews, and with the rain and the ladies' golf, after three hours, my parents had seen all they wanted to see, so we caught a train back to town. Coming and going by taxi from Leuchars, I had to laugh; Mom and Dad's comprehension of the brogue is a bit on the shaky side, and our first driver, who didn't realize that they could barely understand him, tried to do an American accent and pulled out the worst I've heard to date. I love linguistic follies.

Back in Edinburgh, Mom and I did a little shopping. Guys, I'm now the proud owner of a sword. A rapier, to be exact.

It's not a combat weapon - those cost about four times as much as mine did - but it's lovely and will look great on the wall of my future apartment. The clerk told me I should do a Google search and find someone near me to teach me proper sword technique, though if I actually were to spar, I'd need a more substantial blade. Still, it's being shipped home, it's sharp and shiny, and I have a feeling I'm going to be the only single woman in the greater Birmingham area with a Scottish weapon on her wall.

No comments: