Monday, August 13, 2007

New venue

Seriously, everyone should visit Jekyll & Hyde on Hanover Street. If you think Frankenstein's is the way to go for interior decoration, this one'll be right up your alley, down to the bird skeletons in the cabinets. The bathroom's also less sketchy, always a draw at a fine drinking establishment.

I popped by tonight for two shows, "Free Pick of the Fringe" and "Rob Deb: Heroquest". The first was amazing - the emcee was a guy named Richard Coughlan, who's doing a show entitled "Honky-Hating Heterophobic Manwhore". He's white and straight. Go figure. Anyway, he started the show by asking where everyone was from, at which time I revealed that I am, in fact, American. He seemed delighted at this - he did a little dance - and told us that on the circuit, "easy target" is code for "American". He then asked which state I come from, and when I told him it was Alabama, he looked to the ceiling and yelled, "Thank you!"

Nice to be loved.

The four comedians in the set were great, but there's one guy, Chris McCausland, who's actually playing at the Counting House, so I'll try to pop by and see him. He's very funny, and he's also blind, but manages to do a show that doesn't revolve around putting himself down, which was pretty refreshing. There was also a fellow in the mix, whose name, unfortunately, escapes me, who did a great set on centaurs. I think you had to have been there...

The show that followed was also amusing, but in a geeky sort of way. He actually gauged his audience and left out a few bits that would have gone over nearly everyone's head, but I was proud of myself for getting the Granny Weatherwax joke. Thank you, Terry Pratchett, Margaret Hazel, and sophomore year.

No comments: