Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fun with technology

Well, I didn't get quite as far into Halloween as I would have liked last night, for technical reasons: the DVD is Region 2, and my machine is, of course, set for Region 1.

This wasn't a problem with the DVD I got over the weekend - it may have been Region 0 - but my computer started complaining. Either I couldn't watch the movie, or I had to set my DVD player to read Region 2.

Sounds easy enough, but to keep the restrictions in place, the player will only allow a limited number of changes. Once you exhaust them, that's it, and you're stuck in your last region, even if you reinstall Windows.

That seemed rather drastic, so I consulted good old Wikipedia, source of useless knowledge, and read up on region restrictions and how to get around them. (Thanks, External Links section!) One site gives codes for many home DVD players that convert them to Region 0, but I needed some software, and so I turned to VLC Media Player. It's free, and it reads anything.

Halloween, by the way, is incredibly hokey - there's a great shot about twenty minutes into it where you see the cameraman's sleeve. I'll finish it at some point, but in the meanwhile, there's Evil Dead to enjoy.

No comments: