Friday, March 23, 2007

Whole lotta Mozart

Last night was the SCO's performance of Mozart's 39th, 40th, and 41st symphonies, back to back to back. Excellent concert, really well done, and even if, as Leigh said, the 40th suffered for its placement in the middle, the final movement of the 41st was spectacular.

Then again, I'm biased. I've been listening to "Jupiter" since I was nine, when I got my first boom box and used my birthday money to buy a four-disk Mozart set.

Even the weather cooperated last night - no downpours, no hurricane-force winds, no arctic blasts. The one down side to the evening was that the concert was at Usher Hall, near the intersection of Lothian Road and Princes Street, and if you walk there through the Grassmarket, it's kind of like hill walking in heels. We were taking it at a good clip as well, since we only had 45 minutes to get there. I love my heeled boots, but cobblestone-walking takes its toll. My feet are a little sore this morning, so the gym will be postponed.

Small price for three symphonies in a row.

No comments: