Friday, May 04, 2007

The morning after

First off, I'd just like to thank everybody here, back in Birmingham, and all over Facebook for making yesterday such a nice birthday. Between the roses, lunch, the amazing caterpillar cake, and drinks...y'all are awesome! :)

Last night was Bar Kohl, and I managed to not get drunk. Happy, perhaps, but still able to walk a straight line and not be like the girl in the bathroom, who was asking everyone if they had an eyeliner she could borrow. Yes... But last night was momentous for me in that it was a double first: my first shot (the schnapps I sipped from a shot glass on choir tour doesn't count), and my first absinthe.

Absinthe (absinth) is an interesting drink, strong (mine was mid-range at 140 proof), green, and tasting of licorice (it's anise-flavored, but the wormwood gives it its bitterness). I'm not a huge fan of licorice, so when it was time for a drink, I did it the easy way and got this little number off the chalkboard, which was tempered with honey vodka. (This bar has over fifty flavors of vodka - honey was certainly not the strangest.) There are pictures on two camera that document me getting it down, but there's really no need to put those out here, right? Suffice it to say that the Diet Coke I requested as a birthday drink came in handy.

Since I took a long hike before dinner and the bar (almost up Arthur's Seat - I did everything but the rocky summit, since all the tourists were snapping pictures), I didn't feel bad about stopping for pizza at Ian's suggestion. We came in for one pizza. Once we discovered that the student price is only £2.50, we left with four, and the guys were still able to finish the caterpillar. Now I have cold pizza in my fridge, roses on my windowsill, and a nagging suspicion that I should get some work done today.

No comments: