Wednesday, May 09, 2007

This may be a problem

For the last two mornings, I've been waking at 6:15.

This hasn't been intentional. My alarm has been set for 7:30, I have no pressing matter in the morning to make my mind fret and wake me hours early, just in case, and the drills haven't been back.

No, the problem is that sunrise in Edinburgh is currently 5:15, and when there's full sun, my curtains aren't quite strong enough to block it. By quarter after six, my room looks much like it did at 9 AM a few months ago, and it's only going to get worse as we move into June. At its peak, the sun is supposed to come up at 4:26 and not set until 10:03, giving us more than 17 hours of daylight.

The one real perk, besides the end of everyone's seasonal affective disorder depression, is that the later sunsets give me plenty of time to walk after dinner. I can watch television and still take a three- or four-mile walk before sunset. Considering that it used to be twilight when I walked to class at 4 PM, this is a welcome change.

Still, I may look into a sleep mask...

No comments: