Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I'm not dead yet!




To anyone who actually reads this: no, I haven't been eaten by Nessie. Yet...

The last few days have been an insane whirlwind - too many things to do, too little sleep, and a touch of the inevitable jetlag. Edinburgh's student internet, which I've spent too much time configuring, is a restricted little bastard called Resnet. It's so limited that I cannot run Gizmo from my room, meaning I have to make computer phone calls in public at the student union. Phones are another matter altogether; I puchased a pay-as-you-go "mobile" two days ago, but the daytime per-minute rates are worse than the one I have to call home. Texting's a bit cheaper, but the takeaway message is that everything is more expensive in Edinburgh.

There's really too much to go into in one post, but it's been four days of culture shock. For the curious, I've posted photos of my flat above - the room's nothing special, but the bathroom concerns me. The view, however, is great - that's Arthur's Seat, the "volcanic pimple" visible from my window. Quite nice when the sun rises above it, and the little rainbow over it this evening was pretty, too.

No comments: