Saturday, September 16, 2006

So that's what a clothes line is for...

Ever since I started doing laundry, my approach to it has been to stick the mess in, regardless of color, wash it on cold, and nuke it until it cries for mercy. This isn’t really an option any longer – everything here, from cars to shampoo bottles – is smaller and more expensive, and that includes the laundry machines.

The wash was alright, once I figured out the liquid detergent, which wants to be diluted before clothes are added. No biggie. The dryer’s another matter altogether – the machines are roughly the size of the ones at school last year, but you only get 30 minutes at a time, and a wash and a dry each cost £1 – for those not following the currency exchanges, that’s roughly $4 for one load of laundry. The bad news is that nothing gets completely dry on 30 minutes, so I’ve split the load, am currently nuking the hell out of my sheets and one cheap towel, and have hung the rest on my ghetto-fabulous clothes rack. It’s a sight to behold. The window’s open, and I’m praying the torrential rain holds off until things have a chance to get less soggy. Wet jeans are no fun at all.

No comments: