Wednesday, September 27, 2006

"Is that...popcorn?"

I'm sitting in my room right now, happily devouring a bag of Orville Redenbacher's 94% fat free Smart Pop! popcorn. Is this the best thing good ole' Orville ever created? No, not really, but it's my guiltless snack food of choice, and I've missed it. As I told the lady at the bank today, I like Edinburgh, but there've been a few wrinkles to iron out.

I surprised my kitchenmates a few minutes ago when I nuked this bag. Hearing the popping, they knew one of two things: either something was going horribly wrong with the microwave, or I'd found an item as easily locatable as real peanut butter. Ah, no, I revealed, this was from a care package, and I had two weeks' supply of popcorn bliss.

It's a great care package. Besides the popcorn, I found muffin mix and a pan (though I'll have to run the temperature conversion for the oven), my alumni magazine (Barbara was right, the class notes are the most important bit), and a bottle of Lawry's teriyaki marinade. The fact that Lawry's is a proud sponsor of NASCAR did my little southern heart a world of good.

After spending an hour and a half this morning running back and forth from the bank (long story short, my account's now open and a £189.44 draft is on its way to the fine folks at FedEx), I'm really going to enjoy this. Mmm. Fake butter.

Thanks, Mom and Dad! :)

No comments: