Monday, September 04, 2006

Touring God's country

With four days to go before departure, my sister and I have a list of things that need to be accomplished - packing ranks near the top, but there are other things for us to do before leaving the state. We managed one today, and actually got down to Auburn to see our friend, Joy.

I've felt badly about not visiting Auburn in the past. I've certainly popped into Tuscaloosa enough times, albeit for French Conventions, and as I have an allegiance to neither team, I thought Auburn was being slighted. What I've seen of Tuscaloosa wasn't great (although Alabama's student center does have a Starbucks), so my standards for Auburn weren't necessarily that high - we just wanted to visit our friend one more time.

Thus it was that this morning, armed with nothing more than Mapquest directions (we all know how accurate those are, right?) and Joy's number, we headed out into the middle of nowhere on a two-hour drive. There are two ways to get to Auburn - I-65 and Highway 280 - and we opted for the latter, hoping for better traffic. Well, the traffic was great, considering it was a holiday, but along the way we were treated to some of Alabama's finest roadside attractions, such as a combination bait, propane, and upholstery store, Old Dark Hollow Road (like the ambiance), and Bubba's Pizza Place. I'm not kidding on the last one - Bubba may make a fine calzone, but couldn't he have come up with a name that doesn't smack of a barbeque joint?

We made it, and it was great seeing Joy, her roommate, and two of their dogs. The town's not all that bad, either - it's much cuter than Tuscaloosa, and certainly better than New Haven (fewer ambulances, for one, and the natives are friendly besides). I've finally seen the legendary Toomer's Corner, but alas, it being Labor Day, many of the local attractions were closed. At least it wasn't a game day - the road out of town is only two lanes. Who planned that one?

No comments: