Friday, December 01, 2006

I may just be employable

I've received some strange calls from my sister the psychology/French major at Northwestern since she started her college career. ("Lauren, where's the Rite-Aid?" "Jen, I'm in Connecticut, how am I supposed to know?" is one of my favorites.)

Tonight's was great. Jen, who is multi-talented, is a writing tutor, and one of her tutorees has a creative writing assignment. It's 10 PM here on a Friday night and my phone starts ringing. Jen's student wants to know how to format dialogue - when to indent? Do we need dashes? What if the character speaks two lines?

Apparently, I'm a good font of dialogue formatting information, though I would recommend that the girl pick up any paperback novel - not an avant-garde work, just something Rite-Aid would sell - and look at the layout for hints. Just don't ask Jen for directions to Rite-Aid to get it.

(Ducks as something large and heavy is thrown my way from Evanston.)

No comments: