Wednesday, December 20, 2006

New Year's

I was just checking MSN this morning, and they offered a list of the top ten places to do New Year's partying. New York was on it (duh), as were Aspen, Goa (?!?), Sydney, and - yes - Edinburgh. Hope y'all have fun with your (paraphrasing here) four days of hedonism, dog races, and first-footing...the respite from the 40-mph winds has been nice. Really, I can wear my hair down and still look halfway human when I get wherever it is I'm going. The car also helps.

Back on topic, no concrete plans here yet for the 31st. The problem is that Birmingham just isn't a party capital of anywhere, not even Alabama. Mobile probably wins that one for Mardi Gras, if nothing else. The clubs are sketchy, South Side is very sketchy at night, and personally, I refuse to go anywhere Nick Nice, the Q's infuriating nighttime DJ, is going to be. (You can keep your shorties, Nick. Any woman who calls in to your program and doesn't tell you what an arrogant pig you are has zero self-respect.) It's not even feeling like December around here - I had lunch at California Pizza Kitchen yesterday, sat on the patio, and wondered why nothing was blooming except the confused Japanese cherry trees. Add to that the fact that many of my friends around here are going to be absent for the holiday, and it's looking like New Year's may end up being a quiet affair.

At least last year was fun. The Glee Club knew how to party, even if it was with a ridiculous assortment of André "champagnes" in a single hotel room.

No comments: