Monday, December 04, 2006

That wasn't so bad

This was my view this morning at 8 AM. Yes, 8 AM. The sun was trying desperately to make it over the horizon, and I was attempting to drag myself from bed. I had nothing but a string of dreams all night long. This is why I shouldn't drink.

Realizing that my packing time was down to less than twenty-four hours, however, I pushed aside the alarm clock and made myself begin to compile roughly 100 pounds of luggage (God, I hope it's under 100 pounds this time...I don't have a scale, and it's still too early to bother people about locating one).

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Less than an hour later, I've put together two suitcases and most of my carry-on (the computer's not going in until the last possible moment, like maybe tomorrow at 5 AM). I remembered appropriate dress footwear, a step up from some of my earlier Christmas break attempts.

I've also packed the various foodstuffs requested by my parents yesterday afternoon. The conversation went roughly as follows:

Me: It's kind of rainy and windy out there, so I've been napping all afternoon.
Mom: Are you bringing home any tablet?
Me: Um...wasn't planning to. I can go get some... uh, today.
Mom: No rush, whenever you have time.
Me: I'm coming home in less than 48 hours. I should get it today. And whisky fudge...

Edinburgh was behaving itself when I left my room, but the rain had recommenced once I hit the lobby (what else is new?) and continued for the next hour. Adding insult to injury, the wind was far too strong to permit an umbrella (again, nothing new there). I did manage to find the food and a squeaky furry haggis for my puppy, which I'm assuming she'll kill within minutes. So yes, there is now tablet in my suitcase, which will hopefully still be in tablet form by the time it reaches Atlanta. If not, it's good in pieces.

I love you, Mom. :)

No comments: