Saturday, February 10, 2007

Hunting down Tex-Mex ingredients in Edinburgh

For a Tex-Mex-themed dinner, I had been assigned Mexican rice (it appears surprisingly easy, and I actually have all the ingredients on hand for once...we'll see), but I wanted to make a certain dip my mom always makes for these sort of occasions. She sent me the recipe (also pretty simple), and I, rather nonchalantly, told her I'd shop for the ingredients on Saturday.

Scotland doesn't believe in Cajun. It also doesn't believe in Tex-Mex.

The basics - avocadoes, tomatoes, onions, corn chips - were simple enough to locate at Tesco. Their paltry selection of Old El Paso products offered a packet of fajita seasoning, which will serve my purposes. Then came the fun bits...

...like lemon juice. I'm using a real lemon and guessing.
...and sour cream. They have one variety at Tesco, and it's full-fat. At least there's light mayo.
...and shredded cheese. Their selection was pathetic at best, though they do offer approximately sixteen kinds of cheddar in blocks. Cheddar is big around here.
...and bean dip. Tesco doesn't believe in bean dip.

I asked an intelligent-looking clerk where I might find refried beans or bean dip, and he gave me a knowing smile, then showed me to the chip aisle and the salsa I had already nixed. "No," I explained, "not salsa, bean dip." He then led me to their corner of weird toppings and tried to sell me on hummus. "No, it's Mexican. Refried beans?" Alas, he wasn't able to help me, and so I had to fall back on other options.

Keep in mind that it's wet and cold today.

I texted Ian, but he'd never heard of the stuff at Sainsbury's. Undaunted, I set off for the weird little store on Nicholson Street that sells things like prawn crackers and canned pumpkin. The clerk at least knew what I was talking about, but they were sold out. I then pushed through the masses of Welsh rugby fans (Scotland plays Wales today, and the kilts were out in full) to Sainsbury's, where, after browsing though the entire store, I found the ethnic aisle and a couple of cans of refried beans by a brand I've never heard of. They guarantee they're "the true taste of the Americas." We shall see.

To tell the truth, I don't even like refried beans.

No comments: