Monday, February 26, 2007

Tea

I'm a fan of Britain's national beverage (no, not alcohol...that's a steady #2). Sadly, Richmond Place's kitchens are not equipped with many useful tools, including teapots. What we're given instead is an electric hot water kettle, which is quick and useful but less than satisfactory.

The problem is a combination of time and the teabag. I've never been particularly keen on fooling with steeping and other such nonsense - add Splenda, add teabag, add water, stir, drink. There are no saucers or teabag strainers in my cabinet. Consequently, whatever dregs remain at the bottom of my mug are overwhelmingly English Breakfast-y, to the point that my taste buds rebel.

Enter Emma and her bright, obvious idea: tea can be made in an ordinary pot on the range. Add teabags, add Splenda, heat to a near boil, and voila, tea. What comes out is fairly uniform in strength and has steeped long enough; the bags can thus be removed right away, and I get about three cups out of the deal.

Gotta love cheap caffeine.

No comments: