Friday, February 09, 2007

I miss Rite-Aid

As was pointed out before class yesterday, there's always one plague or another going around Richmond Place. We live in close proximity, we share kitchens, and someone still keeps leaving the windows open.

By 7:30 last night, I was ready for a pack of Tylenol Cold and Sinus. Though conscious of the fact that Tylenol seems not to exist in this country, I nevertheless set off for the drug stores to see what I could find.

Ah, silly me. This is Scotland. The "late hours" chemist across the street closes at 7 PM.

In vain I walked up and down Nicholson Street, but Superdrug, Boots, and even the tiny chemist close to Blockbuster were closed. I stopped into the convenience store that sometimes sells Reese's Cups, but they didn't do OTC drugs, and there were no Reese's. My last resort was to go back to the Co-op around 11 and buy a box of Kleenex from a surly man who pronounced "Two-sixty" and "Two-sixty-eight" exactly the same. I was momentarily embarrassed when I left the store, but then I came to my senses. It was late. I was buying Kleenex, for God's sake - it's not cool to screw around with a sniffly woman. Thinking unkind thoughts about the Co-op man and chemists, I took my tissues and went to bed.

No comments: