Friday, April 13, 2007

Freaky Friday

Chicago and New England may be up to their knees in snow, but today was Fog Day in Edinburgh.

At 9:30 AM, I left my building and headed for the mall on Princes Street. The weather was lovely; the sky was blue, the sun was rising, and the temperature was pleasant. I didn't feel underdressed in my sandals.

I was in there maybe forty minutes, but when I emerged, this damp, heavy fog was rolling through town. The temperature had dropped, I had to button my jacket against the sudden chill, and my hair did very bad things.

I figured the fog would lift during the day, but we had an all-day white-out of sorts. I haven't seen Arthur's Seat since this morning. I trust it's still there, but you can't prove it by me. Still, at least the fog tendrils were atmospheric, and gave me an excuse to procrastinate ("I can't work, the fog is making me sleepy...ooh, that guy's cutting the ferret's fingernails...").

No comments: