Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tuesday

Not much going on in my world today besides the bright ray of sunshine that was Jeeves & Wooster. Tomorrow's my day to make the mall trek, so I'll be off to collect...um...four copies of the Telegraph, bright and early.

There are worse addictions, I'm sure.

Speaking of the Telegraph, I actually read a few articles today, as the cover story pertained to Virginia Tech. I paused for a moment when the writer quoted a student as saying that the gunman had been "Asian", and I wondered what the other readers were going to think. There's a funny thing about Asian over here. When Americans hear the term, we automatically think Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, for the most part; people from southern Asia are mostly lumped under "Indian". In the UK, it's just the opposite: Indians and Pakistanis are "Asian", while the others are "East Asian" or simply "Chinese". When the article reported that the gunman was Asian, I knew what to expect, but I imagine that quite a few British readers expected an Indian shooter. Just one more quirk in US-UK linguistic relations.

No comments: