Thursday, January 04, 2007

All I need now are three pair of oxen

Just about any kid who grew up in the States in the '90s remembers Oregon Trail. You know that bit at the beginning, when you give the other members of your party inappropriate monikers and skimp on the goods, assuming you'll just buy replacement axles and shoot buffalo down the road?

Yeah, we all remember how that turns out, even without the cholera and dysentery.

Having learned my lesson the first time out of the country, I went to my friendly neighborhood Bruno's today to procure a few rations in anticipation of my trip back to Scotland on Saturday. Besides my 50 or so pounds of clothes and shoes (hey, Santa was good to me), I've squirreled away the following:

Six boxes of cornbread mix
Four packs of assorted biscuit mix (Biscuits, Ian. Not cookies, honest-to-God biscuits.)
Seven packs of Zatarain's yellow rice, which will not end up on the kitchen floor this time.
Greek seasoning
Meat tenderizer
More SmartPop, this time (accidentally) in Kettle Corn
Two boxes of 25-calorie hot chocolate (Time to discover low-cal varieties, Tesco.)
Splenda, as Tesco has decided not to sell it any longer. Curse you, Tesco.
Vitamins, since they're cheaper here, and because I miss my Viactiv chews.

Leigh, Cali, if anyone wants to bring Reese's Cups, now's the chance...

No comments: