Sunday, January 07, 2007

I'm baa-aack...

It's 9:25 AM, on a looks-to-be bright, sunny Sunday morning. The sun's still coming up, so time will tell on that count. I landed in Edinburgh about an hour and a half ago, I've showered and unpacked, and I'm feeling slightly more human again. The fact that my body has absolutely no idea what time it's supposed to be (3:25 AM, but who's counting?) means that I'm currently riding the jetlag high, and that I'll sleep like a log tonight. I'm trusting myself to go to church, pick up the assignment for Tuesday, make a run through Tesco, and maybe make gumbo. That's about all; I'm still a bit too scattered to do anything of extreme importance.

The flights, thank God, were uneventful, and my luggage arrived both on time and intact. The only real snag in the evening was the flight from Jersey, which was completely full. A third-year at St. Andrews and I were in seats D and F, respectively, and would have had a more pleasant evening if seat E hadn't been occupied by the Creepy Professor. (Well, he struck me as a professorial type...) CP read something about the rise of the middle class work ethic in America or some such (didn't pay much attention, as I was reading Everything Is Illuminated, which is quite good), then drank a mini bottle of cabernet sauvignon and proceeded to take a nap. I have nothing against people who can sleep on planes - more power to them - but St. Andrews Girl and I were a little peeved because CP tended to list in his sleep. Also, his knees kept slipping into my space, which was cramped enough because the **** jerk in front of me decided to fully recline his seat. I couldn't recline mine because the row behind me was against a wall, and the man would have been awfully cramped, so I was stuck in a tiny hole, fighting for space with CP's knees and my backpack, looking for my lost battery (found it), and trying to convince myself that vertical sleep is possible with a stiff back.

Nice try, but at least the book was good.

On a special note, the Yale Glee Club performs at my high school tonight. Guys, I love y'all dearly, but our timing sucks. In any case, knock 'em dead!

Another special note: my parents have been married 29 years today. Congrats, and I love you, Mom and Dad.

No comments: