Wednesday, January 31, 2007

See this film

I finally had the chance to see Pan's Labyrinth tonight, and I must say that even with the excessive gore, it's an excellent film. The fact that I gave up several weeks ago and read the synopsis on Wikipedia did little to dull the film for me - the cinematography is excellent, the fantasy-Fascism juxtaposition is well done, and now I can't get the theme music out of my head.

It's definitely not a movie for kids - a creature with eyes in its hands who bites the heads off fairies isn't your standard Disney fare. There's more of the proper fairy tale to this film than the saccharine version, anyway, which makes it infinitely more interesting. Good people die, and fairies aren't always pink and frilly. Such is life.

Definitely could have done without the sewing bit (if you've seen it, you know what I mean). The audience reacted appropriately, though I'm convinced all the gasping and eww-ing was done by a single, rather macho, fellow somewhere in the audience. Or not. I admit, I did close my eyes a few times, but I've sat through much worse - I don't remember actually seeing large chunks of The Grudge, for instance.

Hey, that kid was creepy. I don't want to hear about it.

No comments: