Saturday, October 07, 2006

Drinking before noon outside NOLA


Over Dead Week last spring, I visited New Orleans for the first time with Mary, a NOLA native and my roommate. Yes, we did the Quarter; yes, we went into Fat Tuesday; and yes, I got something frozen and fruity at 2 PM and I wasn't at a beach resort.

I thought I'd had my early-afternoon drinking experience until today, when we visited Glenturret and did "The Famous Grouse Experience." While the cute grouse commercials were funny and the distillery was a neat ten-minute tour, easily the most anticipated part of the trip was the 'wee dram' around noon. Perthshire was damp and cold, and that sip was good and tingly. Dad, you've been holding out on me. I know where you keep The Macallan.

A few souvenirs later (and a long look at the item pictured above...dear God, I could have a Mercedes for that!), I left for Perth. There's nothing particularly special about Perth, as cities go, but I had a nice three-hour walk/shopping trip with a delightful Parisian engineering student, so the afternoon was well spent. I also bought a wool sweater, so now I have that and my supply of Whisky Fudge to get me through the winter. There's not much fudgy about this fudge, but it does offer subtle hints of vanilla and peat smoke...

No comments: