Monday, October 09, 2006

Just like home

I admit it - one of my guilty pleasures at school was to come home from class at 4 and turn on Maury. Yes, the guests were the lowest of the low (except Jerry Springer's guests) and the show was often one big paternity test, but it was mindless good fun, and gave me a chance to forget postcolonial literature or whatever else it was I was supposed to be studying.

I've now discovered Jeremy Kyle, the British version of Maury Povitch. He's a bit sassier, a bit more therapist and less referee (his security guards do that for him), and his shows cover a variety of themes. The segment I saw at 9:30 this morning involved a white trash family and their fight over a baby. Coming up after the break was a paternity test ("Is she the aunt or the grandmother? Find out!"). It was amazingly like Maury - the only differences were the accents and the dental work. Look, this is a country with socialized medicine. These people have no excuse for going on national television with black and/or missing teeth. Our white trash is classier than that, and that's saying something.

In other news, I just confused my parents' new puppy with Google Talk. The poor thing couldn't figure out why the monitor started calling her name...

No comments: