Saturday, October 14, 2006

Not winning any bake-offs today


After setting off to acquire munchies for movie night tonight, I had a sudden flash of inspiration and thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to make cookies and be all domestic for a change?"

To that end, I scoured the shelves at Tesco and two other stores in search of cookie mix or break-and-bake varieties. Alas, this doesn't seem to be a big thing with the Brits, so I bought the Bacardi and came home, where I stuck in my Williams-Sonoma CD for recipe ideas.

The CD, unfortunately, didn't want to run.

Undaunted, I did searches for cookie recipes, and came up with quite a few - most of which involved a dozen ingredients and actual culinary talent. I finally stumbled upon a quick and dirty one for oatmeal cookies and thought I'd give it a go.

After doing the F-C conversion and making a shopping list, I headed back to Tesco in search of eggs, flour, and raisins. I already had the oatmeal and salt, and I figured I could bake with Splenda. Upon returning to the kitchen, however, I realized that two key things were missing: something with which to grease the pan, and the measuring cup.

Okay. I had acquired two little measuring cups in my oatmeal boxes, both of which hold approximately 2/3 cup, so I guessed on the flour, sugar, and oatmeal. Too much oatmeal spilled into the bowl, however, so I ended up adding a splash of milk to smooth things over. When I spooned the lumpy dough out, it kind of resembled cookie batter, but it tasted alright on the spoon.

Eight minutes at 190 C later, and it still resembled lumpy cookie batter, albeit lumpy batter hardened into place. They're not sweet enough (thanks, Splenda), nor are they particularly attractive, but damn it, they're my friggin' cookies!

It never looks this complicated when Paula Dean bakes.

No comments: