Monday, November 27, 2006

A little taste of college

There comes a point when you look in the cabinet and see mostly seasonings, teabags, and a single can of beans, and then, no matter the weather, you suck it up and go to Tesco.

I'm in the middle of an errand-y sort of morning - gym, laundry, and groceries - and I just returned from Tesco with my large recyclable tote, £16 lighter. There is fruit in my refrigerator once again. This is a good thing.

While replenishing my oatmeal, I stumbled upon a new cereal tucked in with Tesco's minimal offerings. The name was different, but the picture on the front could only mean one thing: Cracklin' Oat Bran has made it across the pond.

Ah, Cracklin' Oat Bran. It brings back such fond memories of the Davenport Dining Hall: lunch, dinner, snacktime, dessert, topping my fro-yo, dipped in chocolate on Valentine's Day... Yeah, okay, I've missed the cereal just a little bit. It's not quite as sweet here, which is probably a good thing, but it's still the all-purpose oatmeal substitute.

Speaking of D'port, if anyone out there has the recipe for curried sweet potato and lentil soup, let me know...

No comments: