Thursday, November 30, 2006

The real Windy City

Today is St. Andrew's Day, which inspires much patriotism, Saltire-waving, and a giant ceilidh on the Royal Mile tonight. If the rain holds off, I'm going. Street party in November in Scotland? Awesome.

Funny thing about this morning: when I woke to the pre-dawn of eight AM, I heard a strange rustling against the window. "Rain?" I thought, but no - just clouds and a ridiculous breeze.

I saw that admission to the castle was supposedly free today, so, deciding that it was high time I visited, I packed my camera after breakfast and made my way up the hill. The castle staff, however, put an abrupt stop to my tourist plans. Apparently, the castle's not safe for visitors during periods of high winds.

High winds? Sheesh, this is nothing. So my hair's a mess and I was having to lean into the wind on Nicholson Street. It's not raining, is it? This is great weather. I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

Although, if this wind keeps up, what's that going to do to the kilted masses tonight?

Oh dear.

No comments: