Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Farewell, Bob Barker

I just saw the announcement this morning that Bob Barker, the sketchy old man of my childhood summers and 35-year host of The Price is Right, will be stepping down in June (http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=239855&GT1=7703).

A few highlights from the article:

1) Bob has been on national television for 50 years and on TPIR for 35.

2) According to Bob, "I will be 83 years old on December 12, and I've decided to retire while I'm still young."

3) Bob is willing to consider film roles during his retirement, but wishes to make one thing clear: "I refuse to do nude scenes. These Hollywood producers want to capitalize on my obvious sexuality, but I don't want to be just another beautiful body."

4) Bob will end his final show with his usual tag: "Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered."

Bob, you can still grope the contestants, hang out with the Beauties, and get kissed by who knows how many college students and grandmothers per year. Hollywood needs a body like yours, you stud. Carry on, o Sultan of the Showcase Showdown.

No comments: